epic for all ages
For when your family is a mix of ages or you’re just looking for a destination that ticks all the boxes…these hotels and resorts know a thing or two about family-friendly travel.
the Low Down
the Peaks Promise
Each booking will receive a complimentary safari.
The Best Room For You
- Trek with Rwanda’s gentle gorilla giants.
- Immerse yourself in the jungle like Tarzan and Jane by encountering the Golden monkey’s which will often far outnumber you.
- Hike to the resting place of Dian Fossey where she lies next to her most beloved gorilla friend, Digit.
- Climb to the peak of Mount Bisoke which last erupted in 1957. At the top you will find a perfectly formed crater that has transformed into a lake with breath-taking views for miles.
- Visit the resident bats that fill the underground caverns of Musanze, the same caves which were also used by locals to seek refuge during the war.
- Get a glimpse of how the locals live by interacting with the crafters and weevers of Gasura village just 30 minutes from the Lodge.
- The Akarabo Nursery which translates to ‘little flower’, houses 250,000 saplings which were planted as part of Singita’s initiative to restore the balance of nature and build a lasting legacy.
- Expand your wine knowledge with world-class wine tastings from the in-house sommeliers.
Enclosed by forests and volcanoes, the setting for Kataza House could not be more idyllic. The private villa consists of one master suite, one junior master suite and two spacious suites. As part of Singita’s community ethos the villa is filled with African charms that have been handcrafted by the local people, such as the exquisite stone fireplace’s which create an earthly warmth.
Located in East Africa, Rwanda, a small but rich country in terms of the beautiful sights and experiences you can have there. The Lodge is located in the north-western part and borders the Volcanoes National Park.
- Getting there:
International flights arrive at Rwanda’s capital city, Kigali. From there, Singita Kataza House is approximately two and a half hours by road. Alternatively, helicopter transfers are available from Kigali to the lodge.
- What to pack:
Wear what you feel most comfortable in as no formal wear is required at any of Singita’s lodges as the atmosphere is designed to make you feel homely and comfortable. Cotton clothing in neutral colours is advisable for outdoor walks and cycling. It’s also best to avoid white and dark colours as they tend to attract bugs. For the hiking and other outdoor activities, waterproof hiking boots with a good grip and ankle support are essential to bring with you. Along with hiking chaps, gloves, a waterproof jacket/raincoat, hiking pants, thick socks to protect you against stinging nettles, gloves and long-sleeved tops. Bear in mind if you do forget something there is a gear room located in the main lodge where you may borrow from.
Wholesome, homegrown ingredients from the chef-to-table garden which can be curated into healthy menu options or something more indulgent by the private chef.
- Signature Activities:
The gorilla trekking is at the top of the to do list for most that stay at Kataza. Spending time trekking and sitting with these majestic animals in their natural habitats will be a lifechanging experience. The daily hikes are led by expert guides and once you return to the House a refreshing beverage will be waiting for you.
The cultural village tours will give you the chance to meet the local community and experience some of their ancient rituals. Your senses will go on a journey from the vibrant displays and sounds of traditional dancing to the taste and smell of brewed banana beer.
Conservation is a concept that runs deep within Singita, a dedicated-on site conservation room is a place where you will learn the inspiring past of Dian Fossey.
- Rates are quoted in United States Dollars (USD), inclusive of Value Added Tax (VAT) at 18%, and are subject to change.
- Terms of booking:
A minimum stay of 2 nights is required. Please note that guests are required to book and pay for a Driver Guide and vehicle for every day of their stay at Singita Volcanoes National Park to facilitate all activities as well as transfers to and from Kigali. Having a Driver Guide and vehicle ensures flexibility so that members can plan their days according to preference. All other activities not mentioned in the inclusive section are chargeable.
As the minimum age requirement for gorilla trekking is 15, the lodge offers dedicated childminders who are able to tailor activities to suit each family.
- There is an onsite child minder who can take care of your little ones and equally open their eyes to the beauty of Africa whilst you’re gorilla trekking or doing other activities in the national park.
- The children will be able to explore the Akarobo nursery and get stuck in by picking vegetables and planting new saplings.
- They can also become little chefs for the day and whip up some mini dishes carefully supervised by the expertly trained chefs. Mini chef hats and aprons are provided so they can really feel the part!
- The children can let their creativity flow with the arts and crafts corner where there is also a selection of board games and puzzles.
- Many more activities are available to keep the children entertained such as nature walks, cycling, stargazing and watching movies.
- Access to all facilities at Kwitonda Lodge
- All meals and beverages (including premium wines, spirit and liqueurs, but excluding French Champagne)
- House manager, chef and house staff
- Laundry service
- Private heated plunge pools
- In- and outdoor showers and fireplace
- A covered veranda
- An in-room massage treatment area
- Complimentary WiFi internet
- An iPad and media suite
- Guest mini bar
Singita has adopted well informed measures in line with the latest recommendations from authorities like the WHO. Extra cleaning procedures are in place, particularly focused on high contact areas. Staff temperatures are checked daily and follow social distancing aswell as the regular use of masks. Guests travel history is cleared for preapproval and all luggage will be thoroughly sanitized. Chefs will be wearing masks at all times during the food preparation and no buffets will be held unless for private events. All lodge and hired vehicles are sanitized between tours and transfers with special attention to the door handles and binoculars. If a high temperature is recorded whether it be a member of staff or a guest, they will be immediately referred to the onsite medical officer. In the event a guest does begin to show symptoms of Covid-19 strict protocols are in place. This includes isolation in guest suites, access to the incident team and emergency Medivac airlifts to the nearest pre-approved medical facility for treatment, should the need arise.
Average Temperature & Rainfall in Days
Peaked your interest?
So, you want to be part of The Peaks?
We can’t wait to have you onboard! As you know, The Peaks is all about making personalised travel more accessible and affordable, giving you the opportunity to explore the world. For a limited time only, our membership is COMPLETELY FREE
so subscribe today and gain access to complimentary experiences and credit to enjoy at some of the world’s most bespoke, beautiful and boutique hotels complete with amazing rates and so much more…