Best For teen travel
the Low Down
Ranthambhore is the world’s finest place to observe tigers in the wild, and SUJÁN Sher Bagh is the ideal base from which to explore this billion-year-old forest. A camp built on the family’s private farm, there is nowhere more authentic to stay. With beautiful tented accommodation, you’ll enjoy crackling campfires under star lit skies, while the camp naturalists share the facts of the forest. It’s a place where comfort, style and an unmatchable commitment to conservation meet. With over 40 years experience, Sher Bagh’s guides and trackers are the best in the business. Their incredible knowledge of the park and the behaviour of its star inhabitant, the tiger, together with their passionate enthusiasm, make a stay here unparalleled.
the Peaks Promise
Each booking will receive a complimentary 60-minute spa treatment or excursion to Ranthambhore Fort.
The Best Room For You
- The founding family came to Ranthambhore long before any tourists or before the place was even known. So their knowledge of the area, their connection with the local communities and the experience they are able to share with the guests is unmatchable
- The SUJÁN Family has a legacy of working with wildlife through filming, monitoring, researching and creating awareness about tigers in Ranthambhore for generations. It was in 1974, when the family first put roots down in Ranthambhore, they put the area on the map through their pioneering filming of tigers in the wild and in 1988, co-established The Ranthambhore Foundation, a Non Governmental Organisation (NGO), working closely with the development of villages around the park boundaries
- As a child, Jaisal ( the Founder of SUJÁN ) had the privilege of spending his youth in the Ranthambhore forest, learning the ways of the jungle and being taught animal tracking and bushcraft skills as a toddler under the tutelage of his father Tejbir, the late Fateh Singh Rathore and his Uncle Valmik Thapar – regarded as India’s leading wildlife experts and conservationists. Ranthambhore felt like his very own home in the wilderness as he learnt everything he could about the forest by walking through every inch of the park; forbidden under today’s regulations. This is what makes the experience so unique!
- The property has it’s own organic kitchen gardens and organic dairy. They endeavour to farm and grow their own ingredients as much as possible otherwise sourcing from local farmers.
- This gorgeous safari escape gives you a chance to see tigers in the wild.
- The camp is right along the borders of the national park and is therefore frequented by many species of birds, antelope and wild boars.
- All SUJÁN hotels offer ethically sound, authentic experiences in unique areas of pristine wilderness, which benefit local communities as well as play a role in preserving indigenous wildlife and their habitats.
- The tented camps are pitched under a canopy of indigenous trees, all planted by the founding family over the last three decades. The camps also pay tribute to the team’s core values of giving back to nature by remaining small and compact, encompassing the surrounding wilderness.
- There are different sizes and styles of tented camps perfect for all types of travellers. The Burra Sahib and Pukka Sahib Suite come with private pools whilst the 10-tented camps offer en-suite bathrooms, private verandas and seriously comfortable beds.
- SUJÁN is a proud partner and primary donor to the Village Wildlife Volunteer Programme. Run by Tiger Watch, with assistance from the Forest Department, Government of Rajasthan, it is focused on providing surveillance, monitoring, anti-poaching, and scientific data collection to Ranthambhore National Park.
Sher Bagh offers 12 luxurious tented camps nestled on the borders of the world–renowned Ranthambhore National Park. Inspired by the safari encampments of the 1920s, preferred by Princes and Grand Seigneurs of the time, each tent is furnished with 19th century ‘Campaign Style’ furniture and has all the comforts you could wish for on safari. Sher Bagh was among India’s first luxury tented camps. It promotes sustainable tourism, is ecologically friendly, provides high levels of service and a faultless Ranthambhore experience. White cotton canvas tents are furnished with beautifully handcrafted campaign furniture in original rosewood and teak. Bespoke Halcyon Days accessories are the other elements that make Sher Bagh ‘a classic’ within the SUJÁN family portfolio.
On a private farm, situated approximately ten minutes drive from the entrance to Ranthambore National Park in Rajasthan, Northern India.
- Getting there:
Sher Bagh is set on the outskirts of Ranthambhore National Park, 13km from Sawai Madhopur. It’s 200km (2.5 hours by car) from Jaipur and 300km (6 hours by car) from Agra.
- What to pack:
Comfortable clothing for safari and something snazzy for the evenings
Sher Bagh has a dining tent serving continental and Indian cuisine plus a bar for G&Ts at dusk. You can also enjoy an alfresco Thaali dinner around the campfire or take part in an informal cooking class. Destination dining is also available
The Jungle Spa lies under the spread of an ancient peepal tree (religiosa indica), ensuring seclusion and privacy amidst a medley of birdsong. The team offer a variety of therapies ranging from a full body massage to long practiced reflexology treatments. Popular with guests after a journey on rural roads, the ‘pot hole reviver’ is a huge hit. Guests can also have treatments in their rooms
- Signature Activities:
Safari’s, Rathambhore Fort Ramble and cooking classes
- All rates are subject to 18% VAT (government tax) & 10% Service Charge
- The hotel can accommodate a maximum of 2 children up to 4 years old when sharing the adult’s room. Accommodation is complimentary when sharing with parents or another adult – meals and transfers and other services are chargeable
- Sher Bagh is seasonal and only open from 1st October to May 31st
February is the best time to visit Ranthambore National Park, as the weather is cool and pleasant and wildlife can be spotted easily
- All meals
- Accommodation based on double occupancy
The rate excludes:
All taxes and charges incurred during the stay towards, Lunch, Dinner, Beverages (Alcoholic and Non Alcoholic), Tobacco (Cigarettes and Cigars), Game Drives/Wilderness Drives (Unless included), Excursion and Leisure Experiences, Spa Treatments, Boutique purchases and any other charges which are not mentioned in the above. All these charges are to be settled in full on departure.
Conservation remains at the heart of SUJÁN. As part of the commitment, a small mandatory fee of INR 1500 plus taxes, per person, per night is applicable and included in the grand total. Please get in touch if you would like to know more details about this and the current projects.
Average Temperature & Rainfall in Days
Peaked your interest?
So, you want to be part of The Peaks?
We can’t wait to have you onboard! As you know, The Peaks is all about making personalised travel more accessible and affordable, giving you the opportunity to explore the world. For a limited time only, our membership is COMPLETELY FREE
so subscribe today and gain access to complimentary experiences and credit to enjoy at some of the world’s most bespoke, beautiful and boutique hotels complete with amazing rates and so much more…