Best For teen travel
the Low Down
SUJÁN The Serai is an oasis, a place for rest and rejuvenation in the desert. This outrageously luxurious camp and spa, owned by brilliant hoteliers SUJÁN, is situated outside Jaisalmer in 100 acres of private desert scrubland. Fittingly a member of Relais & Chateaux, it takes accommodation, service and cuisine in this area to an unparalleled high. The huge, sun-dappled tents are magnificently and opulently furnished with a calm, desert theme. The design is simple, contemporary and elegant. In white and gold, it shines in the heart of the Thar. Subtle interventions of the crafts and textiles are woven into the property through carpets, turbans, throws and cushions, contrasting the vivid colours of Rajasthan with the stark terrain of the Thar Desert to create a tranquil space.
the Peaks Promise
Each booking will receive a complimentary room upgrade subject to availability.
The Best Room For You
- Each tent has a large indoor sitting area complete with a writing desk and stationary, an outdoor cushioned verandah and immaculate, roomy bathrooms. The Luxury Tented Suites also have a private plunge pool in a small, walled garden. The Royal Tent takes space, privacy and luxury to even higher levels, boasting its own pool, spa tent and dining tent in a large private encampment.
- You can dine anywhere you want, at any time! Be it a private breakfast in the bountiful vegetable garden, or a memorable bush dinner in a secret venue under the stars, dining here is perfection in every way and each meal is something to look forward to.
- The award-winning Spa created by the world-renowned Raison D’etre has an array of ayurvedic treatments to soothe your body and soul.
- A stay here is an experience in itself and allows culture seekers an eye-opening visit accompanied by the camp’s historian to the nearby ‘golden city’ of Jaisalmer with its majestic ‘living’ fort and incredible architecture. Offering a rare glimpse into desert life visiting local villages and tribes; be sure to take a leisurely camel ride and peaceful sundowner in the iconic dunes with camel herders wandering past.
- The camp offers daily meditation and yoga classes to all guests.
- A unique programme runs at the camps for young ones to develop an interest in wildlife and the great outdoors. Complete with a junior ranger’s uniform, a bird book and list, a mammal book and an observation list, little ones can set out on an educational adventure with a Ranger.
There are 21 tents in total. There are fourteen tented suites whilst six luxury tented suites have their own private walled-in gardens and sunken, heated dip pools with jacuzzi jets. The exclusive royal tented suite has its own spa, outdoor pool, dining and lounge tents, all walled into a private enclosure.
The property is placed in the Thar Desert, a landmass that extends between the Aravalli Hills in the northeast, the Great Rann of Kutch along the coastline, and the alluvial plains of the Indus River in the west and northwest. Most of the desert is covered by huge shifting sand dunes that receive sediments from the alluvial plains and the coast. The dunes at Jaisalmer are soft, golden hued and warm.
- Getting there:
Although set in a remote location, SUJÁN The Serai is easily accessible by road, rail as well as by air. The closest cities are Jaisalmer (approximately 40 km) and Jodhpur (approximately 260 km), which is extremely well connected to Jaipur Delhi & Mumbai as well as the rest of Rajasthan by road, air and rail. The nearest airport is Jaisalmer.
- What to pack:
Comfortable clothing for desert climates and something casual for the evenings.
The Serai serves sumptuous local delicacies as well as delicious western dishes drawn from inherited recipes that pattern the daily changing menus which are meticulously planned to give you eclectic fare using fresh homegrown organic ingredients. You may choose to dine at the dining tent or anywhere on site, the team are always on hand to create an experience tailor-made to suit your particular desire, or mood.
The highly acclaimed SUJÁN Spa at The Serai, Jaisalmer, has been created by Rosamund Freeman-Atwood, of the globally renowned Raison d’Etre. The SUJÁN Spa comprises of four tents and offers a diverse menu of therapies from rousing reflexology to cleansing scrubs and relaxing massages. The organic and ayurvedic products they use are made with ingredients from the Thar, blended with an array of healing herbs that leave you feeling relaxed and heavenly. You can also enjoy daily yoga and meditation classes.
- Signature Activities:
Arriving via camel, feel the softness of the sand between your toes as you enjoy a signature Sujan sundowner.
- All rates are subject to 18% VAT (government tax)
- The hotel can accommodate a maximum of 2 children up to 8 years old when sharing the adult’s room. Accommodation is complimentary when sharing with parents or another adult – meals and transfers and other services are chargeable
- The camp is open from September 1st to March 31st annually
Temperatures range from a minimum of 5 degrees Celsius in winter to a maximum of 49 degrees Celsius in summer. The average rainfall is 209.5 mm (8.25 inches).
- September and October: Warm throughout the day and in the evenings. Average temperature range is between 25 degrees Celsius to a maximum day temperature of 35 degrees Celsius with medium humidity.
- November to February: Cold temperatures in the mornings and evenings with warm sunshine in the daytime. Average temperature range is between 5 degrees Celsius to a maximum day temperature of 25 degrees Celsius.
- March: Balmy temperatures in the evening with high temperatures in the day time. Average temperature range is between 17 degrees Celsius to a maximum day time temperature of 40 degrees Celsius in a very dry climate.
- Accommodation based on double occupancy
The rate excludes:
All taxes and charges incurred during the stay towards, Lunch, Dinner, Beverages (Alcoholic and Non Alcoholic), Tobacco (Cigarettes and Cigars), Game Drives/Wilderness Drives (Unless included), Excursion and Leisure Experiences, Spa Treatments, Boutique purchases and any other charges which are not mentioned in the above. All these charges are to be settled in full on departure.
Conservation remains at the heart of SUJÁN. As part of the commitment, a small mandatory fee of INR 1500 plus taxes, per person, per night is applicable and included in the grand total. Please get in touch if you would like to know more details about this and the current projects.
Average Temperature & Rainfall in Days
Peaked your interest?
So, you want to be part of The Peaks?
We can’t wait to have you onboard! As you know, The Peaks is all about making personalised travel more accessible and affordable, giving you the opportunity to explore the world. For a limited time only, our membership is COMPLETELY FREE
so subscribe today and gain access to complimentary experiences and credit to enjoy at some of the world’s most bespoke, beautiful and boutique hotels complete with amazing rates and so much more…