Jawai Bandh, India
A new take on the traditional Indian safari experience
The Low Down
At the heart of an untrammelled wilderness, where leopards roam wild and free, is SUJÁN’s JAWAI. Designed by the owners of, SUJÁN Anjali and Jaisal Singh, JAWAI represents a style that combines subtle opulence with adventure. Staying true to the brand’s goals for conservation without compromising comfort, the camp has 10 luxurious tents including one royal suite, each with lots of space and privacy that rest encapsulated in a landscape of towering granite formations, caves, kopjes, Anogeissus scrub and winding sand riverbeds.
The Best Room For You
The Peaks Promise
Each booking will receive a special private dinner or 60-minute spa treatment.
The Reasons To Go
- Connect with the nomadic culture of Rural Rajasthan, make real human connections with the local communities and the teams, many of whom come from the local villages. See first-hand how luxury tourism can benefit rural communities and wildernesses.
- JAWAI’s location provides for an entirely unique experience from the rest of Rajasthan. Life at the property celebrates the great outdoors. Days are spent on wilderness adventures; think breakfasts in the bush, picnics in the wild, lunch by lakes and delicious dinners under constellations of an unending starry sky.
- Photography walks give you the opportunity to shoot over 250 species of different birds and wild leopards. The big cats here are a highlight at this enchanting place.
- Unlike other safari’s in India, here you can walk, cycle, hike, and be free to roam the wilderness.
- Each tent is fitted with its own private veranda, equipped with a writing desk and seating area that looks onto unobstructed, spectacular views of the dramatic wilderness around. Each tent is also equipped with a smart and efficient en suite bathroom.
- The staff are exceptionally charming.
- All SUJÁN hotels offer ethically sound, authentic experiences in unique areas of pristine wilderness, which benefit local communities as well as play a role in preserving indigenous wildlife and their habitats.
- There is no ‘set time’ for meals – you can eat where and when you want. What could be more dramatic than a granite kopje, which serves as a private dining room overlooking the expanse of the JAWAI wilderness? Breakfasts in the bush and picnics in the wild, luncheons by the lakes and embracing dinners under constellations of an unending sky, make for stunning options.
- The region is home to the charismatic Rabari herdsmen, a people at peace with the indigenous wildlife, including the resident spotted cat, the ultimate showstopper that captivates guests both at camp and on safari.
- In the last year the team have successfully launched a completely free Mobile Medical Primary Health Care service that operates 6 days a week, in the 5 villages neighbouring SUJÁN JAWAI. They have donated a fully equipped medical van and with it provide a driver, a doctor & nurse and a supply of medicines to give free primary healthcare to the local communities.
- The team have adopted 9 schools in the area and put acres of land back under wildlife.
The Nitty Gritty
There are 10 luxurious tents including one royal suite and a family suite. Inspired by the granite hills of the region, the camp embraces a modern and chic style whilst remaining authentic and true to its location. Each tent is filled with accessories, like candleholders and lamps, sourced from India based international designer Michael Aram’s Botanical Leaf Collection. The interiors are carefully matched to include a splash of scarlet red – inspired by the colour of the Rabari turban – set against the monochrome white and black.
JAWAI’s location, the unique flavour of this land and its offerings, provide for an entirely different experience from the rest of Rajasthan, yet there are abundant legacies around. The area makes for comfortable access to the citadels of Kumbhalgarh Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. For those still thirsting for monuments, the sculpted temples at Ranakpur are only an hour’s drive away from camp. Two of Rajasthan’s most visited destinations, Udaipur and Jodhpur, are equidistant from JAWAI and easily accessible by car.
- Getting there:
The tented camps are a 2.5 hour drive from Jodhpur and Udaipur to a drop off point where all drivers drop off guests so the camps location can remain a secret. Here, you are met by a ranger with a cold drink and a smart safari Jeep waiting to whisk you off into camp.
- What to pack:
For your safari packing it is advised that you stick to a tonal, neutral colour palette (khaki, beige, light brown) and avoid dark colours as they absorb heat, and bright colours as they can attract bugs. Comfortable clothes can be worn throughout the rest of the trip. The team provide you with binoculars but you are more than welcome to bring your own.
There is a dining tent where guests can have breakfast before or after their morning safari. Enjoy delicious buffet style salads and fresh pasta or fish procured from local fishermen, cooked right in front of you in the live kitchen. Meals are created using home-grown produce from their own kitchen garden or fresh-farmed ingredients sourced from local farmers. In the evenings, the meals are themed on Indian cuisine.
Dramatic views and an idyllic location make the Spa at JAWAI a perfect spot to unwind, relax and recoup. A diverse menu of therapies are available for you to choose from. Yoga is also available on request.
- Signature Activities:
Embark on a safari drive to spot the elusive leopard accompanied by your tracker–guide in a customized 4x4.
The Petit Peaks
- Kids Club: Junior Rangers Programme for Kids include specific activities and Cubs Den - a cool little tent where little ones can read, chill, do crafts with the team and have fun.
The Finer Details
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Two wilderness drives daily
- Unlimited Wi-Fi access
- Complimentary Laundry ( No Dry Cleaning)
- Bottled Mineral Water
The rate excludes:
- All taxes and charges incurred during the stay towards, Lunch, Dinner, Beverages (Alcoholic and Non Alcoholic), Tobacco (Cigarettes and Cigars), Excursion and Leisure Experiences, Spa Treatments, Boutique purchases and any other charges which are not mentioned in the above. All these charges are to be settled in full on departure.
Conservation remains at the heart of SUJÁN. As part of our commitment, a small mandatory fee of INR 1500 plus taxes, per person, per night is applicable and included in the grand total. Please get in touch if you would like to know more details about this and our current projects.
The Housekeeping Rules
- All rates are subject to 18% VAT (government tax) & 10% Service Charge
- The hotel can accommodate a maximum of 2 children up to 8 years old when sharing the adult’s room. Over 8 years old a new room has to be booked. Accommodation is complimentary when sharing with parents or another adult – meals and transfers and other services are chargeable
- JAWAI is seasonal and open from 20th September to April 30th
Temperatures range from a minimum of 4 degrees Celsius in winter to a maximum of 40 degrees Celsius in summer.
SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER: Warm weather throughout the day. Average temperature range is between 18 degrees Celsius to a maximum day temperature of 30 degrees Celsius with medium humidity.
NOVEMBER TO FEBRUARY: Expect cold temperatures in the mornings and evenings with a warm sun in the daytime. Average temperature range is between 4 degrees Celsius to a maximum day temperature of 24 degrees Celsius.
MARCH AND APRIL: Whilst the early mornings and late evenings are cool the weather during these months is warm, with high temperatures in the daytime. Average temperature range is between 12 degrees Celsius to a maximum day temperature of 40 degrees Celsius in a very dry climate.
Average Temperature & Rainfall in Days
JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN
13C 17C 23C 29C 33C 33C
1 1 1 1 2 14
JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC
31C 30C 29C 25C 19C 14C
23 21 14 3 2 1